Saturday, December 28, 2013

Historical Dress Sketches

I watched A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott) a few days ago, and observed how clever the creators were with the clothing.  This was the first time I noticed how the attire in Scrooges past matched more of a 1700's style dress (knee breeches and spencer jackets), while the older Ebenezer had an early 19th century style.

I realized yesterday, after poking around some files on my computer, how many period clothing references I have.  The style for the bottom drawing was inspired by the self portrait of Rose-Adélaïde Ducreux.  What a lady!

And I can't leave without saying just how much I enjoy the previously mentioned production of A Christmas Carol.  The interaction between Scrooge and the ghost of Christmas present is superb... but then again I love all the acting in the film.  If you haven't seen it, you should definitely watch it soon.

5 comments:

Christine Piper said...

Wonderful as always! :)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Christine!

Deandra Miller said...

Hi Anthony,

I am doing a wedding expo at the end of this month and was wondering if you would allow me to use one of your drawings, more specifically the one inspired by Rose-Adélaïde Ducreux. It would be an honor to display it on one of my cakes. Thank you so much in advance.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Deandra,

That would be great. Thanks for asking!

Deandra Miller said...

Thanks!!! I'll be sure to leave a link when all is said and done so you can see :D